Yes, yes your read it correct, the recipe is of Tandoori roti without any kind of Tandoor.
Once during her visit to us in Hyderabad, hubby's bua told me that she would make Tandoori rotis for us. I got worried and told her that we didn't have any kind of tandoor. She said she would manage, and manage she did!!!!
She actually made tandoori roti using my pressure cooker!!!! after learning the trick i tried making these rotis on Tava and they came out perfect, so i now use tava to make the tandoori roti!!! And every time i make Malai Kofta
or Shaahi Paneer
or Daal Makhni, i end up making these tandoori rotis.
|Tandoori Roti without Tandoor|
|Tandoori Roti on tava|
So let's get going....
Salt (Optional - i don't use it)
Water to knead the dough
1) Knead the dough of regular roti. Keep it a little sticky.
2) Heat a thoroughly scrubbed tawa (or cooker) on high flame.
3) Roll oval shaped (just for effect, in any shape they will taste equally good :) ) rotis using as little flour as possible.
4) Wet your hands and brush the roti with water.
5) Now take roti in one hand and shift it to the other hand with little pressure. keep flipping between hands for 4-5 times.
6) Now carefully put the roti on tava and by applying little pressure everywhere stick it to the tawa. Sticking the roti is very important.
7) Now flip the tawa, so that roti is facing the flame.
|Tandoori Roti facing the heat|
8) Cook the roti properly and then flip the tawa to get it back to it's normal position.
9) Using a chimta (forceps) pick up the roti from the tawa, cook it directly on the flame on the other side also.
Apply Ghee/butter if you want to and have Garam Garam Tandoori rotis with gravy of your choice....
1) To ensure that the roti sticks to the tawa, you have to ensure that the tawa is not greasy and the roti has water applied to it everywhere.
2) While making them in cooker, be careful as sticking the rotis in can be a little tricky part and you may even burn a finger or two.You can use cooker, if you want to make 2-3 rotis at a time, for single roti at a time, i would recommend using tawa.
|Tandoori Roti at home|
|Tandoori roti in cooker|
|Tandoori roti on tawa|